Buying An Apartment

I have been house-hunting for nearly 2 years. Elsie and I started looking at 3-room apartments in the town area but the prices were so high.

I came close to offering a 3-room at Telok Blangah. But Elsie did not like the location. The apartment block is located on top a hill. Grandma, who is staying with me, might have a problem with the stairs. So, it was good that I backed out.

Then I thought of staying near Mark who will be moving to Yew Tee soon. So, I started looking at apartments in Yew Tee. There are NO 3-room flats in Yew Tee so I have to “upgrade” to a 4-room.

After several months of viewing apartments, I made an offer for a ground floor unit. This time, both Elsie and Mark objected…for different reasons. Elsie did not like the surroundings and felt that it is too far from the town centre. Mark felt that I could have offered a lower price.

Fortunately, the sellers needed me to wait several months while they look for a new place. I use that as the reason to back out without any penalty!

After that, I took quite a break before resuming house-hunting close to the end of last year.

Pastor proclaimed this year as the dektos year of the Lord. I am confident I will receive my apartment this year.

Mark moved into his new place in March. I started searching again. I checked the resale transactions for 4-room units in Yew Tee and the prices are still too high. They are just not value for money.

I sighed.

Out of curiosity, I searched the resale transactions for 5-room units. To my surprise, they were quite reasonable. The absolute price is higher than the 4-room but the dollar per square foot is lower.

Moreover,with a bigger unit, rental become a viable option.

I asked Mark what he thought about me buying a 5-room. He was surprisingly positive. No question about whether I can afford it. In fact,he shared that if he had calculated whether he could afford his new place, he wouldn’t have bought it. But he went by faith. And things are working out nicely for him financially.

I asked my housing agent to help me identify a few units for viewing. Nothing suitable. I was a bit disappointed.

On Sunday, I decided to check the nationproperty listing from the HDB website. I saw a few possible units and decided to call on my own.

I saw 3 units on Monday evening after work. One of the units excites me. I spoke to Mark. He didn’t object and encouraged me instead.

On Tuesday, I went back to take a second look during the day. Noticed more things that I like. In the late afternoon, I made an offer. Seller accepted.

I was asked to show my commitment by paying the seller S$1000 as option fee. I panicked slightly and asked Elsie to go with me to meet the sellers and check out the place. Seems a bit late but I value her confirmation.

She saw the place and liked it too. AMEN!

Next comes the bank loan. I am not eligible for the HDB concessionary loan. At first, I was pretty sad about it and thought about how much more interest and monthly instalments I had to pay.

To my pleasant surprise, the interest rates offered by the banks are now lower than the HDB concessionary rate…by nearly 1%…at least for the first 2 years.

My goodness, if this isn’t a kara moment I don’t know what is.

So, here I am, shopping for a bank loan.

I was reminded of Pastor’s gentle chiding that we asked Abba God for too little. Well, I started with a request for a 3-room, then a 4-room and now He has gone and given me a 5-room unit.

It is an object lesson that I will remember for a long time.

Abba God’s hand is so obvious in this affair. I know He is working on my behalf.

This is not the end of the story of trusting God for provision because:

I do not know where the money to renovate the place is coming from.

I still have to pay the housing agent about 1% commission. That amount, I also do not know where it is coming from. I do not have a lot of cash on me and I do not want to borrow from my siblings.

So, I asked Abba God to provide. The How, I don’t know but I know He will.

Praise His mighty and glorious name!