Homemade mayonnaise recipe stashed!
Mayonnaise is a base for many other creamy dressings. So knowing how to make mayonnaise from scratch is a very useful skill to have with you. You won’t believe how common the ingredients are. I’m sure you have all of them in your kitchen. You don’t have to fret when you run out of store-bought mayonnaise. Whip some homemade mayonnaise yourself.
1 egg yolk
2/3 teaspoon salt
Dash of white pepper
1 tablespoon vinegar
4/5 cup salad oil
I recommend using rice wine vinegar or white balsamic vinegar because they wouldn’t have the sharp edge that white distilled vinegar has. I will also recommend using grapeseed oil as it is mild and relatively tasteless. A great salad ingredient where you do not want the oily taste to surface. Having said that, feel free to use any available in your kitchen store.
- Mix the egg yolk, salt and pepper together
- Add 1-2 teaspoon of the salad oil to the mixture and beat till incorporated
- When the mixture starts to emulsify, add the rest of the oil in tablespoonful
- Add the vinegar to thin out the homemade mayonnaise a little
- Chill in the refrigerator for about 1 hour before use
It is important to add the oil slowly in the beginning to ensure that the oil binds with the yolk mixture to form an emulsion. Once emulsion takes place, the rest of the oil will blend much easier.